OSX universal rsync

Robert DuToit rdutoit at capecod.net
Thu Feb 21 04:36:33 GMT 2008

On Feb 20, 2008, at 10:24 PM, Brendan Grieve wrote:

> Robert DuToit wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>  Good news on rsync3.0pre10 universal binary

>>> Is such a thing possible? I would assume that the vastly different
>>> architecture changes between Intel and PPC would not make this
>>> possible unless the Mac has some form of 'emulator'?
>>
>> Actually I just did it with
>>
>> >patch -p1 <patches/flags.diff
>> >patch -p1 <patches/crtimes.diff
>> >./configure  CFLAGS="-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -
>> arch ppc -arch i386" LD="gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -isysroot
>> $SDK -nostartfiles -arch i386 -arch ppc"
>> >make
>>
>> I ran "file" on it and
>>
>> dialup-4:~ astrid$ file /Users/astrid/Desktop/unisink/rsync
>> /Users/astrid/Desktop/unisink/rsync: Mach-O universal binary with 2
>> architectures
>> /Users/astrid/Desktop/unisink/rsync (for architecture ppc):    Mach-
>> O executable ppc
>> /Users/astrid/Desktop/unisink/rsync (for architecture i386):
>> Mach-O executable i386
>>
>> it took some research to find the right configure options. I have
>> tested it so far on PPC Mac, Tiger and Leopard, and Intel Mac
>> Tiger, and it works like a breeze. I await confirmation on Intel
>> leopard with fingers crossed. Thanks everyone, Rob
>>
>> PS I hope no one thought I meant intel as in Windows!
>>

> Well done ;-) I learned something new today. I was unaware a file
> could support more than one architecture.

congratulations are not quite in order- I just found that creation
times are not preserved on the PPC Mac but they are on the intel. This
has been a quagmire. At least they all compile and copy files but not
sure why they have PPC support (they were compiled on the PPC!) but
lose the creation times. Sure wish there was someone with more know
how on this subject. Back to the races.  Rob