rsync displays an number of errors when rysncing on gentoo

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Thu Feb 21 02:59:56 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 16:06 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> while anything is possible, i highly doubt it.  emerge-webrsync
> basically
> unpacks a tarball and then uses rsync to copy that src tree to the dest
> tree /usr/portage.
[...]
> tar jxf snapshot-xxxxxxxx.tar.bz2
> cd snapshot-xxxxxxxx
> rsync -av --progress --stats --delete --delete-after \
> --exclude='/distfiles' --exclude='/packages' --exclude='/local' \
> . /usr/portage

Mike, I don't share your apparent assumption that emerge-webrsync is
intrinsically less buggy than rsync.  In any case, I can only answer for
the behavior of rsync itself, so I need to know the actual rsync command
line.  The one you gave isn't consistent with the error message, in
which the absolute path of the missing file doesn't have a component of
the form "snapshot-xxxxxxxx".

elai, perhaps you could find out the actual command line by writing an
rsync wrapper script that prints out its arguments and getting
emerge-webrsync to call that script instead of the real rsync
executable.  Printing out rsync's working directory might also be
helpful.

Matt