two errors with 3.0.0pre9

Giuliano Gavazzi dev+lists at humph.com
Tue Feb 19 09:48:17 GMT 2008

On MacOS X 10.4.11 PPC

/usr/local/bin/rsync --version
rsync  version 3.0.0pre9  protocol version 30.PR16
Copyright (C) 1996-2007 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
Web site: http://rsync.samba.org/
Capabilities:
     64-bit files, 32-bit inums, 32-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
     socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
     append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv

sudo /usr/local/bin/rsync -avAXc --stats --exclude=Library/** --
exclude=Library/Caches/** \
--compare-dest=/Volumes/volume2/albookbackup/Users/a \
/BACKUPS/albook.local/Users/a/ /Volumes/volume2/gbackupcomplete/
albook.local-Users-a

(don't ask me why the two --exclude)

I get these two error messages (maybe more):

Documents/arte/materiale/swisseduc.ch/www.swisseduc.ch/glaciers/alps/fieschergletscher/icons/
rsync: unpack_smb_acl: sys_acl_get_info(): Unknown error: 0 (0)
Documents/arte/materiale/swisseduc.ch/www.swisseduc.ch/glaciers/alps/gornergletscher/

Documents/temp/
rsync: set_acl: sys_acl_set_file(Documents/temp/foo,
SMB_ACL_TYPE_ACCESS): Operation not supported (45)

the source volume was set to support ACLs, the target (and
compare_dest obviously) volume was not... I could not find any acl
entry in the source near where the error happened, but with
incremental transfers I am not sure where it did happen.

  I have another volume still not set for ACLs, so I could do another
test, but it cannot be exactly the same. I will keep that clean in
case you have an advice on how to do this test again. I am not sure
enabling ACLs on a volume (by fsaclctl) is a totally reversible action.

Giuliano