where to look for file reconstruction

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Mon Feb 18 03:20:08 GMT 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 09:12 -0800, zahed wrote:
> Thanks for all the ideas. I liked the remote to remote idea and have told my
> guide about it.
> Anyways, can anybody tell me which files to look into, if I want to look at
> the code for file reconstruction. I have studied Dr. Tridgell's thesis on
> the Rsync Algorithm and have understood the working of the algorithm. Now, I
> am trying to read the code to understand it better.

The reconstruction part of the algorithm is in function "receive_data"
in receiver.c ; the more interesting matching part is in "hash_search"
in match.c .  However, if you're adding support for remote-to-remote
transfers, you probably don't need to study the delta-transfer code in
detail and could just focus on the issues that Wayne listed.

Matt