rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]

chuang liu chliu at cs.uchicago.edu
Sat Feb 16 01:28:22 GMT 2008

Hi all:

I am trying to transfer a file from a machine A to a machine B. I ran
a rsync deamon on machine B at a given port. Because there is a firewall
between these two machines, I opened the port on the firewall. Is this
enough to get rsync work through firewall?

When I tried the transfer, I got the following error messages.

my command:
rsync -a --copy-links localfile   rsync:://me@<my
IP>:<port>/<module>/test.dat

In the client side, the error messages are

rsync: Unknown host
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(151)

In the rsync daemon log:

2008/02/15 23:23:56 [5226] rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes
received so far) [receiver]
2008/02/15 23:23:56 [5226] rsync error: error in rsync protocol data
stream (code 12) at io.c(420)

>From the daemon log, it looks like the sever did get the connection from
the client, but the server lost the connection right away. Does anyone
have any idea what went wrong? Thanks a lot.

Chuang

----------------
my rsyncd configuration

uid = me