Making rsync compile under Mac OS X 10.3.9 with extended attributes

Vitorio Machado v.machado at permanence-informatique.fr
Fri Feb 15 07:34:05 GMT 2008

OK, you won :P

But how I said in the first time, isn't there a proper way to patch
ACL detection?
I mean that for OS X 10.3, configure wil say no, no, no for all ACLs
precheck (the acl headers and functions) but it will branch on the
cases. As I've seen on xattr it works differently. There is a "maybe"
set if it find something that could work and only then it goes to
system detection. I think the best way to patch the ACL detection in
the configure script would be doing this maybe too. The problem is
that xattr is based on functions to say it could work, and ACL is
based on header detection, so it doesn't seem quite the same thing.
How I'm not skilled enough and this isn't my main focus today, I
preferred leave it like this and patch in a "fast way". But I don't
think the program will remain stable a long time if we patch all
problems in a "fast way" like this.

You know better than me what's the right thing to do, if you think
there is no problem on only doing the darwin version check, it will
be OK for me too. I only have the impression that there is a better
way to proceed.

Vitorio