Rsync 2.6.9 does not skip any files based on modification time

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Wed Feb 13 03:22:58 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 03:59 +0100, Stefan Malte Schumacher wrote:
> Hmm, it seems I need help again. I am calling again rsync with the following options :
> rsync -rvtO --del --files-from=/cygdrive/C/Programme/cwRsync/rsync.txt --modify-window=3 stefan at 192.168.99.10::Backup
>
> rsync.txt just contains one single line :
> /cygdrive/D/Temp
>
> rsync then outputs a list of the command line options and the following:
> rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at options.c(1418) [client=2.6.9]

With --files-from, you still have to specify a master source directory
relative to which the --files-from entries are interpreted.  In your
case, you should just use / .  Your command should be:

rsync -rvtO --del --files-from=/cygdrive/C/Programme/cwRsync/rsync.txt
\ 	--modify-window=3 / stefan at 192.168.99.10::Backup

> How should I list E:\Bücher & Comics in rsync.txt ?
> As /cygdrive/E/Bücher & Comics or should I just use single or double
> quotes ?

As you said.  rsync.txt should contain these two lines:

/cygdrive/D/Temp
/cygdrive/E/Bücher & Comics

--files-from implies --relative, so by default, rsync will use the
entire source paths in the file-list and thus recreate cygdrive/D/Temp
and "/cygdrive/E/Bücher & Comics" under the destination.  You can
override this by putting a ./ in each --files-from entry; then, only the
path components after the ./ will be used.

Matt