backup via an intermediate drive

Cavan Fyans cfyans at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 17:57:55 GMT 2008

On 12 Feb 2008, at 00:01, Matt McCutchen wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 23:58 +0000, Cavan Fyans wrote:
>> Thanks for the quick help guys!  The external backup server will be
>> online, just not with a large enough connection to realistically
>> backup via the connection, hence the transportation system!
>>
>> Since it will be online then presumably i can use the write-batch
>> option as the in house server will be able to see the backup server
>> decide what needs transferring, and then just do the transporting of
>> the batch on the intermediate drive?
>
> Yes, that should work well.
>
> Matt

Great, thanks for all the help!  One other problem now, one of the
studio servers is an XServe and therefore running off an OS x
machine.  It has an older version of RSync installed on it (2.6.3)
which does not have the 'only-write-batch' option - I presume this was
just added in the newer versions and its not something that is
excluded in the build for the OS x system?  I tried updating to the
latest RSync version (2.6.9) on this machine but after installing (./
configure, make, make install) it has clearly not replaced the
previous version of Rsync.  Am I missing something blindingly obvious
here that i need to do to update the RSync version on the OS x machine?

Thanks.
Cav.