Making rsync compile under Mac OS X 10.3.9 with extended attributes

Vitorio Machado v.machado at permanence-informatique.fr
Mon Feb 11 22:35:57 GMT 2008

Well, I don't know how, but cleaning the source folder, making ./
configure then make then make reconfigure it finally accepted my
modified configure.in
I could compile my modified sysxattr module with some problems:
1) Had to manually add:
  export C_INCLUDE_PATH=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4.0.sdk/Developer/
Headers/CFMCarbon/
To make it recognise the Carbon Framework
2) Had header trouble with:
/* these are needed for the uid/gid mapping code */
#include <pwd.h>
#include <grp.h>

#include <stdarg.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>
#include <arpa/inet.h>
#ifdef HAVE_NETDB_H
#include <netdb.h>
#endif
#include <syslog.h>
#include <sys/file.h>

in rsync.h
For an unknown reason, gcc makes parse error in sys/file.h. I could
compile inverting the order like this:

/* these are needed for the uid/gid mapping code */
#include <sys/file.h>
#include <pwd.h>
#include <grp.h>

#include <stdarg.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>
#include <arpa/inet.h>
#ifdef HAVE_NETDB_H
#include <netdb.h>
#endif
#include <syslog.h>

But now it doesn't want to compile flist.c for the same reason, and
here the order doesn't matter :/
GCC log:
iMac:/Volumes/Nomade/Input/rsync-3.0.1 lag$ make
perl ./mkproto.pl ./*.c ./lib/compat.c
gcc -std=gnu99 -I. -I. -g -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -Wall -W -I./popt  -c
flist.c -o flist.o
In file included from rsync.h:351,
                  from flist.c:23:
/usr/include/sys/file.h:81: error: parse error before 'caddr_t'
In file included from rsync.h:916,
                  from flist.c:23:
proto.h:301: error: parse error before 'u_long'
flist.c: In function 'send_file_entry':
flist.c:429: warning: implicit declaration of function 'major'
flist.c:433: warning: implicit declaration of function 'minor'
flist.c:437: warning: implicit declaration of function 'makedev'
make: *** [flist.o] Error 1

There should be 2 conflicting headers, but it's too late for me to
search it now.

PS: I've updated the files with the compiler corrections at the same
address as before http://shared.and.free.fr/
rsync10.3xattr_support080211/

Good night!