Need ideas for project

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Mon Feb 11 19:00:39 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 10:56 -0800, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 01:26:35PM -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > What do you mean by support here?
> >
> > Is it Windows <-> Windows only ?
> > Or is it also Windows <-> *nix ?
>
> Both.  The OS X ACL code handles OS X <-> OS X directly, but will store
> the ACLs in an xattr on a non-OS X system if you use --fake-super on the
> non-OS X system (which is acceptable for backups).  I was imagining the
> copying of the untranslated information to avoid the loss of non-Posix
> semantic info that you mentioned.

For backups it makes totally sense, I'd advice on looking at how samba4
can store ACLs in xattrs (which I called EAs in the previous mail :), I
think the only "problem" with samba4 approach is that IIRC it uses NDR
to encode the structure in the xattr, and that may add a new dependency,
but it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York