Need ideas for project

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Mon Feb 11 18:26:35 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 10:08 -0800, Wayne Davison wrote:

>   - Look into MS Windows ACLs (which are non-Posix) and see if they
> can
>     be supported.  I added support for OS X's non-Posix ACLs, so it
>     might be possible.

What do you mean by support here?

Is it Windows <-> Windows only ?
Or is it also Windows <-> *nix ?

Some systems now can support one way or another either directly storing
windows ACLs (OpenSolaris ZFS seem to be getting there) or translations
(Samba does translate Windows ACLs). Translations from Windows ACLs to
Posix ACLs are not perfect and are often kind of lossy due to the
difference in semantics.
If translation is what you are looking for there are other problems like
UID/GID mappings and compatibility with other applications (like Samba).
In Samba4 we even have a scheme to store them in EAs IIRC, maybe that
can be used as a model.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York