rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at rsync.c, using --iconv=. and (code 2) and rsync-3.0.0pre8

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Mon Feb 11 02:44:48 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 20:09 +0100, Edmond Dantes wrote:
> Running rsync on our intradisk Xscale Arm BigEndian MiniServer (NAS)
> System is causing some problems running
> on special character files and crashing.
> Rsync is syncing running on a mounted samba share, syncing to the local
> disk. It is started with the parameters
> --iconv=. what I suggest is the solution for syncing the attached file.
>
> log output in /var/log/messages
> received request to transfer non-regular file: 1706 [sender]
> rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at rsync.c(297)
> [sender=3.0.0pre8]
>
> If running without the "--iconv=." option I get the following error
> rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
> main.c(1058) [sender=3.0.0pre8]
> caused by the attached document file.
>
> I'm using libiconv-1.9.1 and a linux-2.4.31 Kernel System based on an
> open embedded linux similar to openslug libc-2.3.90 system
> my rsync command line ist as follows:
> /sbin/rsync -v --log-file=/var/log/rsync.status.log --delete-before
> --partial -y -ogt -vaxH /mnt/download /export/backup

The transfer is local from rsync's perspective, so --iconv=. is not
going to help because it converts filenames from the local machine's
encoding to itself.  Still, we should fix the crash with the --iconv=.
option.  And presumably you want to solve the problem without --iconv=.
so you can transfer the file.  So please re-run both commands (with and
without --iconv) with verbosity level 3 (-vvv) and post the complete
output of each.  (In particular, the code 23 message means nothing to me
without seeing the previous error message that led to it.)

Matt