iconv and daemon mode

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sun Feb 10 04:10:32 GMT 2008

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 05:41:09PM -0500, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> This would be nontrivial to fix: in order to setup iconv before
> chrooting, the daemon would have to parse its arguments (to see the
> --iconv option) before chrooting

One other possibility is to implement something like the nameconverter
patch (which implements a daemon option to allow a daemon to communicate
user/group translation requests to a helper program over a socket).
Such a setup would let a chroot rsync daemon communicate iconv requests
to a non-chroot helper program over a socket.  I haven't tried to test
how fast such a setup would be (not even for the already implemented,
but only lightly tested nameconverter patch), but I think it is an idea
that warrants more exploration.