Rsync 2.6.9 does not skip any files based on modification time

Stefan Malte Schumacher stefanmalte at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 07:48:45 GMT 2008

Hi

I am trying to rsync some ghost images from a windows client running Windows
XP to my Linux server. The problem is that rsync sends the complete files
again even if nothing changed on the client side. The only way to avoid this
is to use the "-c"-option but this takes nearly as long as uploading the
files would.

The server is running rsync-2.6.9, /etc/rsyncd.conf looks as follows.
/mnt/D/ is a FAT32 partition.

read only = false
use chroot = true
log format = %h %o %f %l %b
log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets

[Backup]
path = /mnt/D/Backup
auth users = stefan
uid = stefan

[HDD-Abbilder]
path = /mnt/D/HDD-Abbilder
auth users = stefan
uid = stefan

The client is using cwRsync_2.0.10, which also uses rsync 2.6.9. I am using
the patched cygwin1.dll from
http://www.okisoft.co.jp/esc/utf8-cygwin/download.html in order to preserve
filenames with german umlauts when uploading to the server. This is the line
used to call rsync from cwrsync.cmd
rsync -rvvvv --del --modify-window=3 /cygdrive/E/HDD-Abbilder/
stefan at 192.168.99.10::HDD-Abbilder

How can I get rsync to skip files based on modification time ?

Bye
Stefan