rpc.statd suddenly listen to rsync port

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Thu Feb 7 10:41:37 GMT 2008

On Wed 06 Feb 2008, Milutin Voinivich wrote:

> Few days a go one of my rsync server stop respond.
> When I tried to figure out way, I discover that rpc.statd is listen to port
> 873.

Another process can't simply "take away" the port from a running rsync
daemon (otherwise a new rsync daemon could take it back!).
Apparently the system was restarted, or at least rsync and rpc.statd
were stopped and then rpc.statd started before rsync.

Fix the config so that the rsync daemon is started before rpc stuff.

Paul Slootman