Windows Trouble with --link-dest set: "file not found" when rsync tries to create hard link

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 19:57:15 GMT 2008

On Feb 6, 2008 9:45 AM, Ming Zhang <blackmagic02881 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 00:14 -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > I have great luck running rsync from one linux system to another, or
> > from a windows system (with cwRsync) to a linux system.
> >
> > But when I try to do an rsync backup from one directory on a Windows
> > system to another, it fails.  The cwRsync says its version is 2.6.9.
> >

> does window ntfs ever support hard link??? i do not think so...

Yes, ntfs has hard and soft links.  hard links on directories are
called "junctions"

http://shell-shocked.org/article.php?id=284

http://www.flexhex.com/docs/articles/hard-links.phtml

I suppose my question should be whether rsync and cwRsync can navigate
them.  Otherwise, somebody needs to put a big bright warning note
somewhere around here.

PJ

--
Paul E. Johnson