file count limit in rsync V3.0.4

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Wed Dec 24 05:36:27 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-24 at 09:23 +0530, Jignesh Shah wrote:
> Thanks. I have noticed the performance degradation issue in rsync V2
> when file count reaches some limit. but I think it wont be there in
> rsync V3(Assume that directory counts are not much smaller than file
> counts). Correct?

Rsync 3 builds the list of all directories incrementally, so there will
be no delay at the beginning and rsync will be nicer to the disk cache.
However, it does appear to refer to the list frequently, so if you have
so many directories that the list grows too big to fit in memory, you
may see poor performance due to swapping from that point of the run
onward.

This is just what I infer from the code, as I don't have experience with
rsync on very large numbers of files.  (My largest rsync job is backing
up my computer, which is only about a million files.)  The best advice I
can give is to try it and see.

--
Matt