weird interaction between --delete-delay and --partial-dir when transfer is interrupted

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Dec 23 04:35:24 GMT 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 09:46:40AM +0100, Michal Soltys wrote:
> but ... the dir is not there anymore, thus ENOENT
> (due to opendir failing) and rsync's exit code 23.

Yeah, rsync always generates an error if the opendir() call fails in
send_directory().  The attached patch makes it treat a missing directory
as an empty directory should the opendir() fail with ENOENT.  This seems
like an acceptable way to handle the situation even on the sending side:
since the directory is already included in the file list, we don't have
a way to drop it, but treating it as empty (now that the contents of the
directory is gone) seems like it would be safe.