Backing up Outlook pst files

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 17:37:03 GMT 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 5:46 AM, MW <rsync at urmel.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Anyway, I will try the --inplace option but cold
> you explain what you mean by "VSS snapshots" please?

Many modern operating systems have a "snapshot" function, which allows
you to save a point-in-time copy of the state of a file system for in
a space-efficient way. On Windows, this is called "Volume ShadowCopy
Service" or VSS. On Mac OSX, this is called "Time Machine", and on
Linux it can be a number of things but is usually done at the "LVM"
layer.

So, if you use rsync to send your PST files to your Mac using
--inplace, you can set up Time Machine to retain snapshots of the
destination filesystem on the mac. So only changed blocks should be
stored between versions of your PST file, with unchanged data being
"shared" between the live copy and the snapshots. If you were sycing
to a Windows target instead of a Mac, you could use VSS snapshots on
the receiving side to achieve the same goal.

--
RPM