errors in rsync

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 11 15:41:47 GMT 2008

Last week I re-installed Kubuntu Hardy because I felt the psu was
marginal and I was getting flakey behavior.
The new install was done in another similiar machine with a psu believed
to be good.

Last night I did the first rsync backup and got error in some /var/log
files.  Errors listed below.

When I cat /var/log/dpkg.log it stops and aborts in the middle before
getting to the last parts where I used apt-get to load a lot of
packages.  This is serious.

cat /var/log/fontconfig.log doesn't even start.

cat fontconfig.log, faillog and lastlog do not even start and give the
messages like:
cat: faillog: Input/output error

What can I do to find out if the disk is bad or repair it?
Are these errors serious enough to re-install?

Larry Alkoff

The entries in /var/log/rback.errors:

root at kinda log # cat rback.errors
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
main.c(977) [sender=2.6.9]
rsync: read errors mapping "/var/log/dpkg.log": Input/output error (5)
rsync: read errors mapping "/var/log/faillog": Input/output error (5)
rsync: read errors mapping "/var/log/fontconfig.log": Input/output error (5)
rsync: read errors mapping "/var/log/lastlog": Input/output error (5)
rsync: read errors mapping "/var/log/dpkg.log": Input/output error (5)
rsync: read errors mapping "/var/log/faillog": Input/output error (5)
rsync: read errors mapping "/var/log/fontconfig.log": Input/output error (5)
rsync: read errors mapping "/var/log/lastlog": Input/output error (5)
ERROR: log/dpkg.log failed verification -- update discarded.
ERROR: log/faillog failed verification -- update discarded.
ERROR: log/fontconfig.log failed verification -- update discarded.
ERROR: log/lastlog failed verification -- update discarded.