Parallel rsync

Jim Searle jims at broadcom.com
Wed Dec 10 20:10:51 GMT 2008

Has there ever been a discussion about parallelizing rsync?  We do some large file transfers across our wan which get done much faster if we run multiple rsync's at the same time.  I wrote a perl script that traverses the directories and figures out how many files to send with each rsync process, but this only works properly for the initial copy.

If we could say "rsync --parallel=8 ..." and as rsync finds a file to transfer it can open up new socket to do the transfer.

Thanks,
Jim