rssync source code as a windows project

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Thu Dec 4 07:42:14 GMT 2008

Jignesh Shah wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>
> I have started learning rsync source code but I am finding very
> difficult to go back and forth to find the execution flow. I could see
> that rsync code is written in UNIX and the compilation is difficult.
> Does anybody converted it into Windows Project so that we can open in
> using Visual Studio IDE and it will be very simple to search for some
> function and find the complete work flow.
>
> Thanks,
> Jignesh
RTFM ctags and cscope, or just create a project and put the sources into
it (not that I think the later will do you much good).

<rant>
Personally, I find VS's cross reference to have deteriorated
considerably over the versions. VS6 had a cross reference that was tied
to the compiler's symbol tables. This worked excellent, as no amount of
preprocessor trickery would fool it. I much preferred it to ctags.
Somewhere between version 6 and version 9, MS switched to Intellisense
for cross referencing. My guess is that the VS6 version wouldn't cross
reference a project unless it could compile it, and people (or at least
MS's sales people) complained. As a result, the cross reference is much
less accurate and error prone, and I no longer see any advantage for it
over ctags and other tools available for Linux and Posix platforms.
</rant>

Shachar