rsync / checksum small block / xfer small block

alexus alexus at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 01:16:07 GMT 2008

not quite what i need

let's take another example

let's say i have a mysql db, and only few rows gets changed on daily
basis, yet that data file itself is huge, so rsync checks for checksum
sees that it's different and xfer the whole file, i use remote site,
so xfer takes long time and plus we pay for our bw, so it cost us
money too, instead there is a technology out there called dedupe, it
will slice file for many blocks ( i think 12k each ) and it will
checksum each of blocks, and will only trasnfer the one that were
changed, this way, if very little get changed during the day, the xfer
of large file will dramaticly drop, as it will only xfer one small
block 12k instead of 1G for instance...

so i was wondering if rsync ever going support this kind of
technology, as today there is more and more of data and not enough
time to back it up...

--
http://alexus.org/