Copying a list of files

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sun Aug 24 21:26:48 GMT 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 17:54 +0200, Leslie Jensen wrote:
> Copy system configuration files to a directory on my
> (/home/user/configuration) home drive.
>
> I've made a text file with the files I want to copy, one file on each row.
>
> The command:
>
> rsync -tv --files-from="my list of files" /home/user/configuration/
>
> does not work and I'm not getting any wiser from reading the man page.

--files-from is used in addition to a source dir, not in place of one.
If the paths in your --files-from file are absolute, you can just pass /
as the source dir:

rsync -tv --files-from="my list of files" / /home/user/configuration/

The examples in the man page description of --files-from do show the
source dir, but the description could certainly be more explicit that
one is required.

Matt