out of memory in flist_expand

Rob klein Gunnewiek r.kleingunnewiek at bwss.nl
Thu Aug 21 07:44:12 GMT 2008

Thanks for your answer...

Wayne Davison schreef:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 05:28:43PM +0200, Rob klein Gunnewiek wrote:
>> ERROR: out of memory in flist_expand [generator]
>
> With -vv, you should be seeing messages like this:
>
> [generator] expand file_list pointer array to N bytes, did move
>
> That will tell you what the last realloc attempt was before the error.

I have used -avvz, I had not noticed the '.. expand file_list pointer array to N
bytes...' type of lines. I will try this again

> If it is a really huge value, check to see if you have a directory with
> a huge number of files in it.  You should also check your process's
> memory ulimit values to see if they are too small, and try using a
> different compiler or malloc package to see if your malloc is having
> trouble with memory fragmentation.

I know I have a directory with a huge number of files in it. But this shouldn't
be a big problem. Rsync from another (Linux) system works well. The linux system
has a process stack limit of 8MB. The FreeBSD system from which this fails I
gave 512MB max stack size.

Also, like I said I added 4GB of swap space in the FreeBSD system.

Here is my ulimit output:

core file size          (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size           (kbytes, -d) 524288
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) unlimited
open files                      (-n) 11095
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 1
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 524288
max user processes              (-u) 5547

Like you suggested, I will try using another malloc library as well.

--
Rob klein Gunnewiek
BWSS B.V. Deventer (http://www.bwss.nl)