Rsync of LVM Snapshots copies whole file

Mac User FR macuserfr at free.fr
Fri Aug 15 21:40:55 GMT 2008

The problem with disk image as databases is that data change a lot
into the file.
When you run a system on a disk image, thre is not only new data
appending to the end of the file, but the entire disk image is changing.
Same thing would happen with large Outlook .pst databases.
Rsync nor any other partial data transfer could deal with it as those
files are "black boxes" seen from the backup tool. They only make
sense from inside the program that create them.
The best way to solve this problem is to not do the backup of the disk
image, but backup from the system inside the disk image. Then, rsync
can see file changes easily.

Best regards,

Vitorio