rsync operation times out on excluded directory

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sat Aug 9 19:02:42 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 16:57 +0200, Rob klein Gunnewiek wrote:
> The problem was that I was copying /home (rsync server:/home ...), and the
> exclude path needed to be relative to this. Newbie mistake :). So, now it works,
> using: --exclude=username/mnt (instead of --exclude=/home/username/mnt). Now
> you're probably saying 'duh' ;-)

--exclude=/username/mnt would be more correct, as --exclude=username/mnt
will match any file anywhere inside /home whose path ends in
username/mnt .

> However, I wonder why the error I am getting is: rsync: readlink
> "/home/username/mnt/dev". Why would it try calling 'readlink' on the directory?

It looks like the error message is not completely accurate: a stat
failure will also be reported as "readlink failed".  The message should
probably say "readlink_stat failed".

Matt