rsync operation times out on excluded directory

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Aug 8 14:08:41 GMT 2008

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 10:53:34AM +0200, Rob klein Gunnewiek wrote:
> However, even though I exclude this directory, rsync still attempts to
> access it:

Yes, this has come up before.  The current exclude code wants to know in
advance if the items is a directory so that it knows which rules apply
to the name and which don't.  Because of that rsync, will stat every
file before checking to see if it is excluded.  If the exclude code was
rewritten to take a name and return two results, one for dirs and one
for non-dirs, then the name could be excluded prior to a stat call
anytime that the two results agreed on exclusion.  I'm going to look
into such an implementation and possibly include it in 3.1.0.

In the meantime, there your options are: (1) exclude the parent dir
of the mount (/home/username/mnt), which will prevent rsync from ever
trying to stat the mount itself, (2) change the current mount to a
symlink to a mount, and move the actual mount to a place where you can
exclude its parent directory, or (3) create a way for the laptop-user
to unmount that mount prior to leaving and remount after arriving.