hard links and schg flags.

Jonathan Call jcall at verio.net
Wed Apr 30 17:01:35 GMT 2008

I am (attempting to) implement an rsync method for distributing updates
from a FreeBSD master server to several 'slave' servers. In addition to
keeping certain userland files up to date it I also want it to keep the
OS up to date.

I've run into a problem that I do not know how to fix. When I run the
following command:

rsync -aHXA --fileflags --force-change --no-inc-recursive
master.server.com::all /

I get the following error:

rsync: link "/usr/bin/ypchfn" => usr/bin/ypchpass failed: Operation not
permitted (1)
rsync: link "/usr/bin/chsh" => usr/bin/ypchpass failed: Operation not
permitted (1)
rsync: link "/usr/bin/chpass" => usr/bin/ypchpass failed: Operation not
permitted (1)
rsync: link "/usr/bin/chfn" => usr/bin/ypchpass failed: Operation not
permitted (1)
rsync: link "/usr/bin/ypchsh" => usr/bin/ypchpass failed: Operation not
permitted (1)
rsync: link "/usr/bin/yppasswd" => usr/bin/passwd failed: Operation not
permitted (1)
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
main.c(1497) [generator=3.0.2]

I thought the combination of the --fileflags and --force-change flags
would allow such hard links to be created? Am I missing an option?

Jonathan

This email message is intended for the use of the person to whom it has been sent, and may contain information that is confidential or legally protected. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, you are not authorized to copy, distribute, or otherwise use this message or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Verio, Inc. makes no warranty that this email is error or virus free.  Thank you.