"Date Created" missing on files transferred from an ext3 file system to an NTFS file system

Kor Kiley kor.kiley at uvm.edu
Fri Apr 25 15:33:54 GMT 2008

I'm using rsync 2.6.9 to transfer tiff files from a linux RHEL 5 server
to an NFSv3 directory exported by a NAS running Windows Storage Server
2003 R2 sp2.  The NAS is running Microsoft Services for NFS.

The rsync command I'm using is:

rsync -auz --remove-source-files /m2/archives /nfs-destination

The problem I'm having is that ~50% of the files that are moved are
missing a creation date.  The main problem with this is that the backup
software always thinks that they are new versions and always backs them
up during an incremental backup.  I also haven't found a good way of
supplying the creation date on files that have already been moved the
the NAS.

If anyone can provide insight into this problem, I will be grateful.

Kor