--append skipping longer files

Timo Ed timo_ed at yahoo.com.au
Tue Apr 22 00:52:59 GMT 2008

Hi,

Does anyone know a workaround to get the --append option to do a
non-appending inplace transfer when the reciever is longer than the
sender rather than skipping the file.

This is a common problem for us as most of our log files use an hourly
or daily rollover and the reciever doesn't get updated until the
sender builds up in size.

The only option I can think of is adding a block in our scripts that
compares the size of the two files and substitutes --inplace instead
of --append for longer files. But this won't scale well.

Thanks,
Tim