problems with skipping server-excluded files with rsync 2.6.6

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Wed Apr 16 15:18:19 GMT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:45:35PM +0200, Hans-Dieter.Doll wrote:
> This worked fine for me at least up to rsync version 2.6.2.
> Now I'm trying to use this on SuSE SLES 10 which has rsync version 2.6.6
> and the server rejects all files with the error message
> "skipping server-excluded file".

Starting with 2.6.3 rsync began to use the include/exclude rules to
limit what could be uploaded to the server as well as what could be
downloaded.  It would seem that this upload limit allows the "." dir
at the root of the transfer to be excluded (which it should not do,
but has done since 2.6.3).  So, your exclusion of "*" is causing the
starting directory to be dropped, and nothing can be transferred.

An easy fix is to add "include = /." to that module in your rsyncd.conf
file, and uploads should start to work again.