Howto: Mac OS X to Windows VM

Michal Suchanek hramrach at centrum.cz
Fri Apr 11 19:34:51 GMT 2008

On 11/04/2008, David Miller <millerdc at fusion.gat.com> wrote:

>  On Apr 9, 2008, at 3:12 PM, Rama D. Chavali wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a mac pro and a windows Vm which I want to keep sync.  I tired
> using other Sync programs but they do not seems to be working.  I tend to
> leave applications running which create their own temp files in its own
> specific folder, which caused the other sync programs to crash.  I tired
> SyncToy by MS and Unison.  I am looking for a bi-directional sync program
> that runs in the background and syncs any changes caused to the folder.  I
> heard that rsync can slove this problem for me, but I am not sure how.  Can
> any one be of hlep to me?
> >
> > - Rama
> >

>  Why not have a common share point to save your work to? If you are using
> VMware or Parallels you can share your Macs home folder with windows through
> the the VM software. We have lots of users who do this. It makes backups

However, if you use VirtualBox you cannot. Sadly VirtualBox is easy to
start with but it's hard to do much more than demonstrating it works.
Your virtual machine is very well isolated from the host, the best bet
is to mount a share from a remote server on both (or from your host if
it happens to be a server).

Note: if you use VirtualBox on another platform you might have more
options but on OSX many things just do not work (yet?).

Thanks

Michal