newbie: rsync 2.6.x problems Cygwin client --> RedHat server

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Tue Apr 8 09:22:06 GMT 2008

On Mon 07 Apr 2008, S.A. Birl wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2008, Paul Slootman (nospam-paul+rsync at wurtel.net.ns) typed:
>
> Paul:  On Mon 07 Apr 2008, S.A. Birl wrote:
> Paul:  >
> Paul:  > Server is running rsync 2.6.1 on RH
> Paul:  > Client is running rsync 2.6.3 on Cygwin (Win2003)
> Paul:  >
> Paul:  > When I connect client to server, I get kicked out after SSH
> Paul:  > authentication.  I can manually ssh into the server with no problems.
> Paul:
> Paul:  Is the server running an rsync daemon? If so, why the ssh?
>
> Well, unless I misunderstood the man page, I thought I *had* to have
> another protocol (ssh, ftp, etc) for the rsync daemon.

You generally run rsync over ssh, with the following syntax:
    rsync [options] srcdir remotehost:destdir  (pushing to remote host)
    rsync [options] remotehost:srcdir destdir  (pulling from remote host)

You can also run a daemon on a host, in which case you can let rsync
talk directly to the remote rsync daemon, without ssh:
    rsync [options] srcdir remotehost::modulename
    rsync [options] remotehost::modulename destdir
Note the double colon instead of a single colon; alternatively:
    rsync [options] srcdir rsync://remotehost/modulename
    etc.
The modulename can have a subdirectory appended, or a file, etc.

> One less protocol would be good.  How will that affect authentication?

Read the manpage for rsyncd.conf and search for "secrets file".

> CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT:
> The information contained in this e-mail, including attachments, is the
> confidential information of, and/or is the property of, Temple
> University. The information is intended for use solely by the individual
> or entity named in the e-mail. If you are not an intended recipient or

As mailing lists are open to the entire world eg. via online archives,
the intended recipient is "the world", so what's the point...
If such a footer is forced by your organization, consider getting a
gmail account for mailing lists, it's also very useful for searching.

Paul Slootman