another iconv question

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Wed Apr 2 03:12:03 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 19:59 -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> > Wayne, please consider adding this material to the "copies every file"
> > entry on http://rsync.samba.org/FAQ.html .
>
> I renamed the entry and added more info on extraneous copying.  Thanks!

Thanks, but I noticed that you mangled the specifics on what HFS+ does.
It changes the single code point for an umlaut-u, which is represented
in UTF-8 as the two bytes \0303\0274 , to a sequence of two code points
for the u and the umlaut, which is represented as the three bytes
\0165\0314\0210 (I'm not 100% sure of these bytes since I don't have a
Mac to test).  \0374 is an ISO-8859-1 umlaut-u, which has nothing to do
with the HFS+ UTF-8 behavior.

Matt