another iconv question

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Apr 1 02:14:07 GMT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 09:54:16AM -0400, Robert DuToit wrote:
> we tried adding option iconv=C and iconv=C,C  but no luck

That would appear to be a request for rsync to not do any character
conversion, in which case you shouldn't be using --iconv.

When using the --iconv option, you should describe the character set
that the files are in on the disk on both the sender and the receiver.

> [rsync] re-copies [e]very file with an umlaute.

Are you using (or implying) the -t (--times) option?  (Use the -i option
to see if the copy is due to time changes or something else.)  What do
you mean by "re-copies"?  Are you talking about copying the file away
and back again, which creates an extra copy of the file on the source
machine under a slightly different name?  If so, perhaps that character
cannot be converted to UTF-8 and back without changing in the process.

If you're talking about a single direction, make sure you've specified
the right character set for each machine.  Also make sure that the file
wasn't copied before with the wrong character set, since the new file
might be the right one.