Mapped Drive

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 17:46:07 GMT 2007

On 9/24/07, Stephen Zemlicka <stevezemlicka at gmail.com> wrote:
> The reason I was trying this was because all I can do is map a drive.  As of
> yet, I cannot modify the server like that.

If the only access you have to the remote directory is to read or
write it via a mapped drive, you can't hope to do any better than
copying the whole file.  All approaches to delta transfers rely on
performing some kind of special computation on the remote machine.

BTW, are you pushing files to the mapped drive or pulling files from
it?  Knowing that would make future discussion clearer.

> I may take a peek at
> rdiff.  Any experience with that?

rdiff is essentially a command-line interface to the three stages of
the rsync delta-transfer algorithm.  It won't work any better than
rsync in this setting.

Matt