Mapped Drive

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 17:09:19 GMT 2007

On 9/24/07, Stephen Zemlicka <stevezemlicka at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am having trouble running rsync over a mapped drive.  Basically it only
> copies whole files.  I use the –rvcS switches.  Any suggestions?

The delta-transfer algorithm reduces only the communication between
the sending and receiving rsync processes; each process reads and
writes entire files in whatever filesystem it is using (local or
networked).  If you want to benefit from delta transfers, one of the
rsync processes has to actually run on the system hosting the mapped
drive.  You can accomplish this either by remote shell or by setting
up and accessing an rsync daemon on that system.

Matt