compression of source and target files

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sun Sep 23 17:18:36 GMT 2007

On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 10:34:30AM -0400, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On 9/23/07, devzero at web.de <devzero at web.de> wrote:
> > i tried "--checksum" but it didn`t work as expected.

In a future release (probably one past 3.0.0) I'm hoping to add a DB
accessing protocol that will allow quite a few extended features,
including the ability to lookup a file's real size and other info in
the DB.  This will allow file attributes to be decoupled from the file
system, which will support hard-linking files with identical data
together even if they don't have the same attributes (and even if they
are not in the current transfer's hierarchy), will allow a non-root
user to save ownership info, will allow caching of checksums, etc.
That would make it easier for a post-processing step to function
normally.

I'll post my (very) preliminary DB/function design to the list in
case you or anyone else would care to comment and/or code.