compression of source and target files

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sun Sep 23 16:43:20 GMT 2007

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 01:10:18PM -0700, Kenneth Simpson wrote:
> Sorry, I neglected to mention the source is uncompressed but
> we need to compress the target file because we're running out
> of disk space and the files are highly compressible.

The BackupPC program has the ability to store files compressed, and to
tranfer files into its compressed storage via rsync.  I've seen it in
use and it's quite nice, but it may be a bigger change than you're
looking for.  If you're interested, either search for backuppc or use
the link on the rsync website's resources page.