delta copies

Robert Fitzpatrick lists at webtent.net
Sun Sep 23 15:37:45 GMT 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-23 at 00:56 -0400, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On 9/22/07, Robert Fitzpatrick <lists at webtent.net> wrote:
> Either the delta transfer algorithm is not being used due to a
> misconfiguration, or the pgsql backups are changing in a perverse way
> that prevents it from matching any data.  Please send the command line
> and output for the remote transfers the same way you did for the local
> test so I can see what is happening.

Doing some more testing this morning, maybe what you suggested about the
pgsql backup is what is happening. I took a closer look and realize that
my sql backup is actually smaller some days than the destination, will
that affect delta copies? This is because the db is a mail cache and
items expire each night and get purged from the database, then vacuumed.
So, the size will relatively stay the same, but will fluctuate sometimes
larger, sometimes smaller in size compared to the destination copy.

I noticed this when I tried a simple pg_dump of a single db on a test
machine here in our lab to the same destination server, all works great.
So, I rsync that same sql backup to the problem source server and try
from there, wouldn't you know it, it worked great.

I'm doing a fresh test now of my problematic backup to be sure it is
carried out the exact same as my successful backup except the db that is
being backed up of course. I'll send you the results if still a problem
like you requested if you don't think the size is an issue.

Thanks for all the help!

--
Robert