Using rsync with the iriver T60

Sat Sep 22 16:36:11 GMT 2007

I was about to ask how to get this to work, but I think I might have solved it
with another last look down the documentation before I clicked on the send
button.

I have an annoying little problem known as the iriver T60 audio player.

It plays Ogg files from my PC perfectly well, but only in the same order in
which it thinks they were copied onto its flash memory. It makes no attempt
to sort the file names into alphabetical order to play them.

So, if I just use Konqueror (I'm using Kubuntu Feisty) to drag whole
directories of files onto it, the music plays just fine but the track order
is all scrambled.

However if I laboriously create the directories on the player myself, then
manually drag the files onto it, one at a time, in the correct order, they
play in the correct order. This, of course, is a PITA.

So, I was thinking can I use rsync to do the job for me? Here is the command
I've used:-

rsync -rvtW --delay-updates --modify-window=1 /MiscUsersFiles/Music/Dave/T60/ /media/disk/Music/

I was hoping that the -W parameter might cause it to do the job, but no.
The --delay-updates seems to be the proper magical incantation.

The T60 now appears as disk in /media/ since I managed to foul it up properly
and did a reformat (I'll see if I can set it back to T60 later).

After an initial write of my music files to the freshly reformatted T60, every
single album is now listed on the player in the correct order. So now the
question is, does my use of the --delay-updates option increase the number of
write cycles to the flash memory, or is it all sorted out in a buffer on the
PC before everything gets transferred over the USB cable?

Regards,

Dave Fletcher

--
Registered Linux user number 393408