rsync and translating restricted NTFS filename characters

Jeff Weber jweber at amsc.com
Tue Oct 30 15:07:06 GMT 2007

I am backing up files from Linux to a NTFS using rsync.  I have the NTFS
mounted on Linux via CIFS.  I am discovering errors while attempting to
backup files with restricted NTFS characters, like : [colon].  For
example, I am unable to backup my crucial maildirs, as a colon is
encoded in each Linux file path.

Is there a solution to rsync Linux file paths with restricted NTFS
characters, to NTFS?  Perhaps there exists a solution to remap. say,
Linux path ; [colon] to an alternate character ! [exclamation mark] on
NTFS ?

	thanks,
	Jeff