Symlinks in OS X (10.4.1)

dsp at gmx.org dsp at gmx.org
Sun Oct 14 20:05:36 GMT 2007

> Actually, this isn't quite true. osx has no lchmod, but if you set a
> umask before creating the link, the permissions are set. So, as
> opposed to ignoring the permissions, perhaps we should teach rsync
> how to set them. I'll probably look at this as soon as I'm done
> writing a patch for preserving the creation date.

Thank you for the reply!
I know about the missing lchmod in OS X, but I don't really see a need for
it. Why can't a symlink just have a default permission of 0777? In case the
symlink gets dereferenced the target's permissions have to be considered
anyway. Of course it is cleaner to have them set properly, but if they are
just ignored it won't hurt either.

Regards,
Mario