compression of source and target files

reno reno at faubourg.org
Sun Oct 7 17:51:19 GMT 2007

Kenneth Simpson wrote:
> Chuck Wolber wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Kenneth Simpson wrote:
>>

>>> Hi - there's a flag for rsync to compress the files in transit - is it
>>> possible to compress one side (target) with gzip and have rsync still
>>> work correctly?
>>>

>> It'll still work correctly, but compressing a compressed file can actually
>> make it slightly bigger and wastes CPU cycles in the process.
>>
>> ..Chuck..
>>

>  Sorry, I neglected to mention the source is uncompressed but
> we need to compress the target file because we're running out
> of disk space and the files are highly compressible.
>

> We can't compress the source since the files are large and
> compressing the source would create other problems.
>
> The original thought was to use a file system with compression (I
> think Linux has such a beast) but this would at least require a
> kernel rebuild which we won't be able to do for awhile.
>
> The second thought was that we might be able to gzip on the fly
> and have rsync work correctly (since it's compressing them in
> transit.)

Hi,

I'm answering a little bit late.
If you have some extra disk space on the source you should have a look
to rsyncrypto which is able to do compression (and encryption) of the
file on source in a separate directory in a way that keep later delta
transfert with rsync possible.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rsyncrypto

Reno