Overly Long File Names

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Wed Oct 3 18:44:20 GMT 2007

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 10:30:55AM +0100, Stuart Halliday wrote:
> Cygwin needs to drop support for Windows 98.
> They plan to do this 'sometime'.

I wonder if defining MAXPATHLEN to a larger value would work or not?
That value is supposed to represent the largest string that can be
passed to a file-handling OS function.  If it is smaller than what
calls such as open() can handle successfully, increasing it will
tell rsync what the real limit is.  The value I've seen under cygwin
is a pitiful 512 bytes or so, which is much smaller than the normal
4096 of other systems.