--delete not working, fixed!

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 01:23:30 GMT 2007

On 9/25/07, Sylvain Viart <sylvain.viart at easyrencontre.com> wrote:
>  As I said, Protect and Hide, are not "really" documented. It's only said in
> the doc :
>
> hide, H specifies a pattern for hiding files from the transfer.

You're right that that line is not enough to thoroughly explain hide
filters.  However, the man page does say later:

"An s is used to indicate that the rule applies to the sending side.
When a rule affects the sending side, it prevents files from being
transferred.  The default is for a rule to affect both sides unless
--delete-excluded was specified, in which case default rules become
sender-side only.  See also the hide (H) and show (S) rules, which are
an alternate way to specify sending-side includes/excludes."

This adequately explains the "s" modifier, and from the last sentence,
one can infer that "H foo" is equivalent to "-s foo".  Similarly, the
next bullet covers protect filters.  Thus, the documentation is there;
it just isn't at all obvious.  I hope to improve the explanation of
filters in my rewritten man page (see
http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2007-August/018214.html ).

Matt