why not a gui for rsync

Suresh Govindachar sgovindachar at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 04:34:53 GMT 2007

   Daniel Platteau asked:

  > I'm using rsync and I'm very glad, but, in some case, i'm not so
  > happy.
  >
  > Some people are backing up the data with rsync but they have a
  > lot of files, more than 100000 and 20 Gb of data.
  >
  > We are using batch files and the task scheduling system of
  > windows.
  >
  > It is difficult to see if the backup is well done, sometimes,
  > they are error.

  Yes, it is indeed is very important to know if the backup was
  successful or if there were any errors!  I do not know the
  resolution to this important question, but would like to present
  how I would approach the problem, and invite comments from those
  who know more about rsync.

  > We try to make some gui, one in java, an other in c++ and also
  > one in delphi.

  I am not sure one needs a gui.

  > The target was to make a service who can monitor the backup made
  > with rsync and a gui that shown the state of the backup and
  > allow the user to easily take back one file or, even, to take
  > back old versions of the file.
  >
  > We are using rsync compiled with cygwin, the rsync software is
  > launch in a shell and we try to collect the information in the
  > "master programm" who have launched rsync.  This way is maybe
  > not the best way.

  Here's are features of rsync that I would attempt to exploit:

      a) -v option with various levels of verbosity
      b) --stats
      c) --log-file=foo
      d) messages rsync prints to stdout
      e) messages rsync prints to stderr.

  Even on Windows, I would attempt to have a perl script fork a
  child that issues the rsync command.  The parent perl script would
  monitor items (b-e) and emit summary messages of the status of the
  rsync command:  the mechanism for the message might just be prints
  to the console or a pop-up window.  The script can have special
  triggers for conditions such as detection of errors of certain
  type or detection of too many errors etc.

  So I see the need for a document that explains the format, content
  and interpretation of (a-e) at a user level.

  > My questions are :
  >
  > Is there a way to use the rsync protocol directly in a software
  > without using rsync, like a dll  with a lot of "rsync"
  > functions.

  My understanding is that rsync already can provide the status
  information in an on-going manner -- how one collects, interprets
  and displays that information is the issue.

  > Is there some works in the world trying to make a good gui for
  > rsync and to let all people using this very good method to make
  > a backup.
  >
  > If somebody is interesting to create this gui, let me know

  --Suresh