Rsync stalls

Fabian Cenedese Cenedese at indel.ch
Wed Nov 28 07:41:30 GMT 2007

At 16:33 27.11.2007 -0500, Joe Demeny wrote:
>I am trying to rsync a machine running CYGWIN_NT-5.2 server 1.5.24(0.156/4/2)
>to another which runs FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE; both with rsync 2.6.9.
>
>I'm trying to "pull" the files from the Cygwin machine with:
>
>/usr/local/bin/rsync -avz --delete --delete-excluded -e "ssh"
>[user]@[host]:"/cygdrive/e/Shared" /home/[host]
>
>However, rsync stalls. This seems to be happening when there are some new
>large file(s) on [host] - or perhaps too many files? The total is about 30 GB
>and 55,000 files.
>
>On the FreeBSD box the connection state is FIN_WAIT_1. On the Cygwin side the
>connection state is ESTABLISHED. The connections seem to be hanging around
>indefinitely.
>
>If I "push" the files from the Cygwin machine, rsync runs fine and exits with
>no error.

One thing is a possible interaction problem with cygwin's pipes (I think). There
are many others that have a rsync stall on cygwin, but nobody has yet found
out exactly where the problem lies or how to fix it.
The other possibility is an error in rsync that was fixed early 2007. If possible
please try the actual development version which is in last testing stage (3.0.0).
This has helped me with a stall I had.

bye  Fabi