[feature request] Modify --backup option to make backups on source side, too

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Mon Nov 19 22:10:35 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 22:17 -0400, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On 10/15/07, Aaron Digulla <digulla at hepe.com> wrote:
> > This is for a production system which goes online Q1 2008. Should I use
> > the latest stable version of rsync (2.6.9) or will there be a release of
> > 3.0 until then?
>
> Rsync 3.0.0 is in pre-releases now.  Chances are very good that the
> final release will be comfortably before Q1 2008.

Alas, I need to revise this prediction.  There are a number of
outstanding bugs in the latest development version of rsync, and the
discovery of new bugs shows no sign of abating.  If your system is going
online early in Q1 2008, you might do well to build it around rsync
2.6.9 just to be safe.

Matt